Part Time Assistant
Our mission is to...
Make known the gifts of people with intellectual disabilities, revealed through mutually transforming relationships.
Foster an environment in community that responds to the changing needs of our members, whilst being faithful to the core values of our founding story.
Engage in our diverse cultures, working together towards a more human society.
Assistants work to build a relationship of mutual care and support with people who have intellectual disabilities (our ‘Core Members’) by fostering a home life of unity, mutual respect and participation by all members. This is done in accordance with the principles, values and philosophy outlined in the Charter of L’Arche, Mission Statement of L’Arche, and the L’Arche Canada Servant Leadership Model.
In collaboration with team members, support the physical, psychological and emotional well-being of the Core Members in the home.
Accompany individuals to appointments, activities within the community, and other activities outside the home;
Respond to each person’s individual needs by respectfully supporting them with daily living skills, personal hygiene, and where needed, administering medication.
Encourage each person to achieve the highest level of independence in personal care and relationships;
Assist each person in appropriate areas as agreed upon by the house team during annual reviews/goal setting;
Ensure the home is safe, clean and inviting to all by participating in daily housekeeping and maintenance chores.
Maintain up-to-date training requirements
Understand and adhere to all L’Arche Stratford community standards, policies, and procedures
Follow the schedule and priorities outlined by the House Leader
Perform other related activities as necessary or as assigned.
· Communicate effectively with team in order to pass on pertinent information.
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
· a positive attitude and willingness to learn
· effective oral and written communication skills
· the ability to work independently and in a team setting
· creative problem solving and decision-making skills
· education or experience in Developmental Services an asset
· criminal background check including vulnerable sector screening
· valid G class driver’s license in good standing and access to a reliable vehicle an asset
· current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NCVI) or First Aid/CPR certification an asset
Availability for mornings, evenings, and weekends, as well as overnight support times.