Company Manager (seasonal contract)
Based in Stratford, Ontario, the Stratford Festival is one of the world’s foremost repertory theatre companies. It operates year round, presenting a season of about a dozen plays each year between the months of April and November, a rich stream of digital content and hundreds of Forum events, designed to deepen understanding of the plays. For every person a theatregoer sees on our stages, we have seven people working behind the scenes, some of the world’s most dedicated and experienced arts workers. At this time we are undergoing a culture shift to support anti-racism and anti-oppression and ensure a respectful, equitable and inclusive environment in which all staff, artists and audience members can feel a true sense of belonging.
If you would like to be part of this change and contribute your own remarkable talents to North America’s largest not-for-profit theatre, we’d like to hear from you. We are currently welcoming applications for:
Company Manager (seasonal contract)
Reporting to the Producer, the Company Manager is a key member of the Directors’ Office team with overall responsibility for ensuring that Festival company members – including actors, creative teams, artisans and staff - are supported throughout their engagements. This position is the first point of contact for many people, and is an essential contributor to building a welcoming creative environment.
- Arrange travel and orientation for visiting artists, including preparation of the Company Handbook
- Maintain the Festival’s relationships with a wide variety of medical and wellness providers, managing appointments, assisting with insurance, and providing other administrative support
- Model and promote respect in the workplace and all forms of health and safety, including mental health and anti-oppression, and serve as a member of the Festival’s Joint - - Health & Safety Committee
- Liaise with all Festival departments to ensure support for all members of the Festival company
- Liaise with unions and associations in matters of membership and insurance
- Support special events, including opening nights, promotional appearances, touring activity, etc.
- Administrative and other duties as assigned
- Fulfill all responsibilities with an ethic of care, respect, and generosity
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and demonstrate grace and kindness under pressure
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills are essential, including proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Particular consideration will be given to candidates who demonstrate a passion and track record for empathetic and inclusive practices and working with artists from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and abilities
This position is ideally suited to individuals with management and coordination experience and a passion for the arts who are interested in bringing their experience to support theatre-makers at a national institution. Experience in performing arts, the hospitality industry or other human-centered, fast-paced, highly changeable environments is strongly preferred. Successful candidates must pass a background check including vulnerable sector.
This is a Full-Time Contract position with requirements to work both remotely and onsite as required at the Festival in Stratford, Ontario. This seasonal contract will begin March 2021 for approximately six months. During the season the company manager is expected to work Tuesday through Sunday, and is typically on-call after hours, so flexibility is essential as hours will vary.
Compensation: based on $50,000 to $60,000 annual full time salary; salary will be pro-rated based on contract length.
The Festival is creating a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. We welcome applicants of every identity, and encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Deaf, disabled and 2SLGBTQ+ folks. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to the Stratford Festival, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter in a single PDF by January 26, 2021 to:
Subject: Company Manager
We will respond to all submissions by February 10, 2021.