Molding Processing Engineer
We currently have an opening for a Molding Processing Engineer for our Sealing operations, located in Stratford, Ontario. This position offers a competitive wage of $75K-$80K plus an excellent benefit and pension package.
Cooper Standard, headquartered in Novi, Mich, USA is a leading global supplier of systems and components for the automotive industry. Products include rubber and plastic sealing, fuel and brake lines and fluid transfer hoses. Cooper Standard employs more than 32,000 people globally and operates in 20 countries around the world.
“Cooper Standard Named as One of the 2020 World's Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere”
For more information on a Great Place to Work, go to our website at www.cooperstandard.com
Develops manufacturing methods, equipment and process for programs. The Molding Process Engineer directs, coordinates, and exercises functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of process engineering projects within area of assigned responsibility by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Responsibilities / Duties
· Works with program coordinators to introduce new molding designs, tooling & processes into production that meet or exceed customer expectations. Provides the necessary process documentation to run these parts to the agreed upon process specifications in production.
· Has necessary skills required to review CAD design, review construction and implement molding tooling using existing materials to meet or exceed production capability.
· Provides engineering feedback on new designs to ensure process capability throughout plant, review and testing of new materials that are required to support these new proposals.
· Injection molding experience utilizing TPV and EPDM compounds.
· Familiar with Hot Runner Valve Gate Technology.
· Coordinate implementation of new processes in manufacturing (may follow up on equipment and installation).
· Reviews process parameters and equipment parameters and performance for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, personnel safety, customer contract requirements and related specifications.
· Maintaining mold quality and Integrity through scheduled maintenance.
· Coordinates with manufacturing all molding process activities that are concerned with technical developments, scheduling and resolving engineering design and test problems.
· Provides direct support to manufacturing for capability issues not within ability of production to resolve.
· Strong mechanical background to understand intended molding machine operation. May also be involved with ancillary equipment supporting molding operations such as trim units, benders and saw units. Familiar with PLC’s is a preferred.
· Provides cost analysis/ piece cost estimate when necessary.
· Implement cost savings ideas that have been identified as potentially feasible through cost system, mold techs, or through own suggestions.
· Controls expenditures within limitations of project budget. Limits generation of scrap in all phases of program.
· Prepares interim and completion project reports where applicable.
· Foster utilization of team concepts throughout the organization. Participate and demonstrate ability to work effectively in a cross functional team environment.
· Defines equipment utilization, floor space requirements, process flow, and layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency. Meets customer’s capacity requirements and targets cycle time.
· Engineers manufacturing processes collaboratively with product engineering to ensure manufacturable product designs which utilize standard production processes, equipment and methods.
· Writes equipment and process specifications. Purchases, installs and debugs effective equipment that meets all financial and quality requirements for new products and programs.
· Defines cycle time, balanced work content in manufacturing cells and stations, and plant process staffing
· requirements and costs. Ensures that processes and product designs meet the customer’s and Cooper’s expectations and financial targets.
· Ensures equipment and manufacturing processes are ready and available for customer critical events including run at rate, PPAP and critical builds for customer MRDs.
· Responsible for creating, updating and maintaining all manufacturing and process engineering documents required for launches.
· Creates the manufacturing bill of materials, process flow diagrams, process failure mode effective analysis (PFMEA) and tooling authorization to proceed (TAIP).
· Creates all equipment and process preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
· Applies Lean principles to new product launches including minimizing WIP, ergonomic work stations, visual management and 5S. Utilizes the concepts of continuous improvement and cost reduction in the execution of the job function.
· Applies statistical methods to solve problems and improve manufacturing processes.
· Complies with policies and procedures pertaining to facility or divisional adopted standards such as IATF and ISO14001.
· Some travel required.
· Other duties as assigned.
Post-secondary education or equivalent experience
Experience in a manufacturing environment prefered
Excellent computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office
Superior organization & time management skills
Excellent communication skills
Knowledge of CI tools
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants who closely meet the requirements of this position will be contacted. During the recruitment process, accommodations are available for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation in the application, selection, or interview process, please indicate this on your cover letter or resume.